Brickerville House History
The Brickerville House is on the list of Historic Buildings in Lancaster.
Built by John and Barbara Bricker in 1753, it was located on the main road from Philadelphia to Harrisburg.The originalportion of this house served as a stagecoach stop and tavern over the years. We're not sure if George Washington ever ate, drank or slept here but it's a sure bet that Peter Grubb, Baron Von Stiegel and other early American Patriots did!
Other points of local history:
- Two miles west on Rt. 322 is the Hopewell Forge Mansion built by Peter Grubb, the original ironmaster of the colonies.
- Several more miles west on Rt. 322 is Cornwall Furnace where the same Peter Grubb established the original ore mines in the states.
- Seven miles East on Rt. 322 is the Ephrata Cloister. Many a wounded soldier from the Continental Army was nursed back to health here after the Battle of Brandywine.
- One mile North on Rt. 501 is Elizabeth Furnace where Baron Von Stiegel was ironmaster until he decided to venture into glass making. He then moved his operations a few miles West to Manheim.
- Five miles South on Rt. 501 is the quaint and beautiful Historic Town of Lititz, founded by the Moravian religious community in 1756.